collaboration between United Way of America
and Delta Airlines, uses frequent flyer miles
donated by Delta frequent flyers to transport patients with life-threatening illness to
- The SkyWish Program has flown over 173 families to medical treatment.
- Delta frequent flyers have donated over 8,000,000 miles to the program.
- Medical facilities, nonprofit organizations & local United Ways are referring
patients to the SkyWish Program.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR SKYWISH TICKETS?
UWA has an application process for local United Ways and private individuals to request
mileage for people in their communities. Applications can be obtained through your
local United Way or completed by phone by calling United Way of America, 800-892-2757
|The criteria for determining awardees for SkyWish are:
- Medical treatment must be for life threatening condition
- Doctor verification is required
- Maximum number of tickets per case is two- one for the patient and a companion if
- Eligibility is limited to once every six months per individual
To apply for flight tickets, contact your local United Way or United Way of America
at 1(800)UWA-2757,extension 285. Local United Ways can receive documentation about SkyWish
by calling InfoFax and requesting any of the following SkyWish documents: Fact Sheet #720,
Application#721, and Referral List#722.
HOW CAN I DONATE MY MILES?
- Making your SkyWish donation is simple. You may do so in increments of 5,000, with a
5,000-mile minimum. To help boost the value of your gift, Delta will add one mile for
every five miles you contribute to the SkyWish Program.
- Using the Delta award request form on your monthly mileage summary, indicate the number
of miles you wish to donate to United Way of America in the space provided.
- Return your award request form to Delta as you would normally. They will make
sure your miles reach UWA.
- Mileage will be automatically deducted from your account and reflected on your next
mileage summary. However, SkyWish donations are not tax deductable for Delta Airlines
or its SkyMilesTM members.
- For details on donating your Delta frequent flyer miles to United Way of America
through SkyWish, contact Delta Air Lines at: 1(800)323-2323. For general information on
United Way of America's involvement in the SkyWish Program contact your local United Way
or United Way of America at 1-(800)UWA-2757, extension 285.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE THROUGH SKYWISH
- A Georgia family needed transportation for treatment for a young mother who was
diagnosed with breast cancer. The cancer had spread and she was advised by her doctor to
see specialists in a Seattle clinic. Responding to a call from the United Way of
Metropolitan Atlanta, UWA presented two round-trip tickets through Delta's SkyWish program
for the woman and her husband to fly to Seattle for treatment. And two additional family
members received transportation when the United Way of Metropolitan Atlanta and its
volunteers identified two people willing to donate directly to the family, respectively,
25,000 Delta frequent flyer miles and a full fare ticket.
- A seven-month-old girl in Alabama was stricken with retinal carcinoma. The American
Cancer Society called on UWA to help this young girl and her mother fly to Philadelphia
for surgery. With the assistance of the Wiregrass United Way, Inc. in Dothan, Alabama,
arrangements were made for round-trip transportation for them through the Delta SkyWish
- A woman with pancreatic cancer was flown from Texas to the John Wayne Cancer Center in
California for specialized treatment available only at that facility.
- A middle aged man was flown from Florida to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in
Cancer Center in NYC where he recieved intensive chemotherapy treatment for
retroperitoneal germ cell cancer.
- A young man in San Diego diagnosed with Castelman's Disease, a rare lymphoproliferative
disorder, was flown to the Univ. of Arkansas Medical Facility in Little Rock for
experiemental treatment for his disease.
The above examples are only a few that SkyWish and Delta
Airlines has lent a helping hand. It can also be surmised from the information above, the
purpose and overwhelming need of the SkyWish Program. Please, consider donating some of
your frequent flyer miles. Your extraordinary gift will be greatly appreciated.
© 1996 United Way of America
All Rights Reserved